Thursday, July 10, 2008

Another Hike

By the way, I did another "hike" this week. Sorry, no photos from this one. It was the Stake 4th Level Girls Hike (which I have been going on for 28 years - more on that later). This year they wanted to do it in conjunction with Girls Camp so it was only 2 days/1 night, and done at a Bullard's Bar campground, instead of higher up in the mountains, because they wanted to keep the girls close to camp.

Like most of these hikes, it was almost not a hike at all. We did cover about 4 miles, but along a level, soft, forest path through heavily shaded woodland. If you know the area, it's the bike/foot path around the lake. A leisurely stroll.

Almost everything about this experience was the opposite of the 50 Mile Hike I did with the boys a week or so earlier. Easy walking, short distances, we camped in a campground (so they could have toilets available), and very HOT weather - well over 100 degrees. It's alright, I just go along to provide priesthood support. It's not my gig.

The first time I did a 4th Level Girls Hike was in 1981, the year I graduated from BYU. My little sister Suzy was that age and Dad had been asked to go along. He in invited me. I've been doing them ever since.

About 15 years or more ago the program changed and the hike was no longer required, so sometimes they have merely camped without a hike, and one year (the year Michelle was that age) they had no outdoor activity at all.

I've hiked in a variety of locations with some hikes more difficult than others, some in the wilderness and some in well appointed campgrounds - but nearly all of them fairly easy to do over the course of 3 days/2 nights.

We have rarely been rained on, but one year we were up near a ridge (at Penner Lake) and a thunder storm rolled in with rain and lightning. The ground got soaked, and the lightning was striking nearly on top of us. Some of the girls (who had pitched their tents in depressions that the water ran into) were getting a shock with every ligthning strike from the electricity conducted through the water in the ground. We packed up and went home. That was also the trip when the water pump on my truck went out and I had to leave it and come back the next day to fix it.

There are lots more stories where that came from. Maybe someday I'll write a book.

3 comments:

David Peter said...

I think you should write a book. Remember that library you told me was full of things I didn't know? We can put it there : )

P&M Inc. said...

Nice come back David. I know I can count on you.

Vecchiocane said...

I thought about writing a book of memiors; but angels in heaven are silent notes taking, so I figured it was all recorded some where already (in a truthful manner).