Friday, July 2, 2010

Raise The ROOF!

We've needed to replace the roof for a few years, and finally got to it this summer. We had to rip everything off (there were three layers of shingles), replace some of the plywood sheeting and fascia boards on the southern eaves then put down all new felt and shingles. We started Monday, and after a slow, tough day, started to move along much quicker on Tuesday. By Wednesday we had done all the carpentry work and had the county inspection. Working from 6 - 11:30am Thursday and Friday we finished when I expected to.

Jeff Heller (L) and me (R) removing shingles;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;Kim Pitt and a couple of YM I hired to help
;;;;;;;;


Piles of old shingles outside the front door.



Materials delivery from Close Lumber ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;The pallet doesn't have legs, it's the other man.
;;;;;;;;


Below is one of my favorite tools in all the world. Several years ago I re-roofed a friend's house, and as a nice gesture she paid for some tools for me. This is so much better than nailing by hand (which is what I did on Rich's house 20 years ago, and my own house 23 years ago). I also have a compressor large enough to run three nail guns, and assorted hand tools like a roofing triangle and nail puller. Roofing houses is a lot of fun for me. Tearing off shingles is something I want never to do again.

;;;;;;;;

As you may see, the band around the handle of the nail gun is not just an ownership label. It's a wrist band from the emergency room. A couple years ago Kim Pitt and I were putting a new roof on the house of one of the widows in our ward. I was cutting a shingle around a vent cap when the knife slipped and sliced deeply through me wrist. It was pretty cool looking after they sewed it up. Kind of like Frankenstein. Anyway, I put it on the gun as a memento.


4 comments:

Michelle & Trevor said...

Trevor really likes your nail gun.

Also, it's good to "raise the ROOF" after "The roof! The roof! The roof is on fire!"

I hope you can imagine the huge, teethy smile I'm giving right now :D

Drew Hohmann said...

It seems this kind of roof is harder to replace than the metal ones. But it's even more durable and it can last for so many decades through proper cleaning and maintenance.

Unknown said...

Nail guns are very very convenient to have, especially if you bought it from a quality manufacturer. It took my husband some time to save up for his own, but it was well worth it because his carpentry job got a lot easier and he is now less prone to hammer bruises.

Leif Clancy

Brendan Gertner said...

One of the hardest parts of a roof project is removing the shingles, particularly if you have several layers of them. It’s no surprise if it will take a day just to remove your shingles on the roof. Good thing you have some helpful people to help you with this project. Great job, guys!