Saturday, December 3, 2011

A Day at the Cannery

Mom had an assignment to work at the cannery doing Marion Berry Jam. I went down to see if I could help without getting in the way. They let me dump the 60lb bags of corn sweetener (3 each batch) and 25lb bags of sugar (7 bags) combined with 8 five gallon buckets of berries. I used a paddle to help it mix in, then I sat around until the next batch started.




Mom spent some of her time making sure all of the jars were full enough, but not too full. Spoon it in or spoon it out - they were all made perfect. Later she sat and tightened lids. We both looked cute in our hairnets and flimsy plastic aprons.




When the 3 hour shift was over they let me work one of the high pressure hot water (180 deg) hoses to clean everything off. Then they coated everything (even the electrical panels) with disinfectant and I hosed it all down again. Then I got to mop the front lobby. I actually kind of like mopping floors. It's easy to do and makes an obvious difference.

Afterward we drove over to IKEA and ate Swedish meatballs. That was a good way to end the day.

No comments: