Sunday, February 24, 2013

The Good Shepherd

Our local newspaper runs a weekly article called "The Message of the Week" which is written by a minister from one of the local churches on a rotating basis. I have the opportunity a couple of times a year to write the piece. I've been doing it for about five years now.

Below is what I plan to submit for my next article, which is due in April. One of the requirements is that it be less than 600 words, which, at least for me, is not always easy to do. Let me now what you think.


Many, many years ago the story was told of a celebrated actor/orator who was doing a reading, as such people used to do, in a theater in New York. He was very eloquent and dramatic in his delivery and the audience gave him a standing ovation for his performance. Having the time, and wanting to please the audience even more, he asked if anyone had a request.

A gentleman several rows back stood and asked if the great speaker would read the 23rd Psalm. The actor said, “Yes, I know the 23rd Psalm” and proceeded to recite it from memory.

When he concluded, there was great applause for this too. But as it died down, the man in the audience stood again and asked, “I have with me an older gentleman who also knows the 23rd Psalm. Would you mind if we hear him recite it?” The older man was embarrassed and reticent, but after much enthusiastic encouragement from the audience and the famous orator, he was persuaded to take the stage.

The old man spoke with a depth of feeling seldom heard in public:

“The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures; he leadeth me beside the still waters.

“He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Ye, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.

“Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest mine head with oil; my cup runneth over.

“Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”

He finished and returned to his seat. This time there was no applause, but many wet eyes. The great actor stood and said. “I know the words of the 23rd Psalm, but this man knows the Shepherd.”

The 23rd Psalm is one of the best known verses, and perhaps the most oft repeated, in all the Holy Scriptures. It takes an average person little more than a few minutes to commit the entire passage to memory. But the purpose of this Psalm, or indeed any passage of scripture, is not so much to know the words, as it is to come to know the Master through them.

The older gentleman had obviously come to know the Shepherd through years of worship. But more than that, there was an incredible depth to his knowledge that had been obtained through years, and even decades, of suffering and struggling to overcome physical and spiritual weaknesses, temptations, and afflictions. His knowledge and understanding came by wading through and overcoming trials and adversity. It was not an easy road, nor was it a short one. And the place it brought him to was not merely a place of words, but a place of knowledge, feeling, and understanding. He understood the 23rd Psalm deeply because he had experienced the desperate need for the comfort the Shepherd gives, and which is voiced in these verses.

While nobody needs to go looking for hard times and trials, perhaps we should concentrate more on how to overcome them rather than trying to completely purge them from our lives. Certainly our trials give us the opportunity to increase both the frequency and amplitude of our contacts with Deity. They help us come unto Christ.

2 comments:

David Peter said...

I like it a lot, and I think Hugh B. Brown would approve ;)

R. L. Hall said...

Good job. That is an excellent story - I could almost hear HBB telling it. Elder Maxwell warned in one of his talks against praying for all our trials to be removed, or to avoid tribulation, as they are generally the vehicles of our progression to becoming what God wants us to become.