Sunday, April 14, 2013

Gearing Up

This coming Saturday is the annual Bike Around the Buttes bicycle race which benefits a local Diabetes charity. It starts at the Sutter Youth Organization building in Sutter (my kids will remember it as where the pool and ball park are) and has a 17 mile fun ride, the 40 mile classic, and the 100 mile expert ride.

I started doing this several years ago when I had a diabetic student (who.s mother organized the race). I don't ride every year, and when I do ride I usually only do the 17 mile route. But this year I committed to do the 40 mile ride, so I've been trying to get ready.


Yesterday (in weather that was breezier and colder than I thought it would be when I started) I did  20 miles (in 1 hr 50 min) from my house down to Shanghai Bend, then north on the levee to the 5th Street bridge, over to the Marysville side and made the circuit around that town on it's levees, and back home again.

It went pretty well, especially after having donated blood the day before. Tomorrow (Monday) I'll do 11 miles, and Wednesday the plan is to do another 20 miles - this tome going south on the Feather River levee past Star Bend and back.

I'll try to take pictures on the trip next weekend. Then do everything in my power to help Melody have a happy birthday.

1 comment:

R. L. Hall said...

Wait wait - I wanna go too.