Saturday, April 12, 2008

The week that was

This was a pretty full week. On Monday afternoon I attended a retirement ceremony for an Air Force Sergeant who was wounded in Iraq (he was actually deployed while serving on our high council). It was quite a moving experience. Then I rushed over to the stake center to release a returning missionary before Family Home Evening.

Tuesday and Wednesday evenings I met with bishops for interviews. Always good, but always lengthy.

Thursday was cram-packed with moving equipment and setting up for my students' Spring Concert. I had about 170 students in three bands (4th-5th graders, 5th-6th graders and 7th-8th graders) from two schools. They all did very well, but the Jr. High group was amazing. Among other things they played a fugue by Bach, a really hot swing tune featuring saxes (I played along with them on that one) and music from the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie (Dead Man's Chest). Wow!

Friday night Uncle Richie and I took off to Zion's Camp and cooked weenies over a fire. We stayed up too late talking and slept very comfortably (at least I did) in the beautiful night air at 2000 ft. with no one disturbing us. Did I mention that we ate extremely well? You guessed that already? Bratwursts, fire-roasted corn on the cob, tangelos (a cross between an orange and a tangerine I think), sour cream crumb cake and chocolate bars. The next morning we started all over again with hot cocoa and the rest of the sour cream cake. Yumm!

It was good to get away - because when I got home I had to tackle what you can read about below. . .

No comments: