Friday, August 21, 2009

1 Down, 35 to Go

This has not been updated lately for a couple of reasons: 1) I haven't done anything really fun lately, and 2) school started this week - the same time I had lots of Church work pressing to be done.

The first week of school has been pretty good. Most of my students are returning and my program at Tierra Buena continues to grow even though the enrollment there is down a little. That may mean I'll get my dream of moving to a larger room more centrally located. At present I'm in a regular sized room at the far end of the campus from where all my students have their classrooms. With the situation as it is I may get to move to a double sized room in the middle of the campus.

On the other hand, Barry School continues to have declining enrollment. I'll be lucky to have 50 students there (as opposed to over 100 at TB). Those I have are fun kids, however, so it will be a good year.

The title for this post comes from Bruce George (you may remember him) who teaches Special Ed classes. It's his way of dealing with the year.

I'll try to do something fun and post some photos soon - but don't hold your breath.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Why is enrollment going down and is it district wide?

mr.math said...

First and 35 really is appropriate - daunting, yet not really a punting situation with always an option for 3 points with a long field goal.

Big Bopper said...

To answer Lisa, district wide the numbers are a little down. Some schools (the new River Bend Elementary for example) are way up due very poor decisions made at the district level regarding boundaries. But overall enrollment is less - primarily because people have lost jobs, or homes, or both, and have left the area. This is not a dramatic decrease, just a leveling out.

Vecchiocane said...

Hmmm, 36/52 is 69%. So I am headed toward reversing your work schedule. I hit 69% idle about October 2nd for the 52 weeks November 15 2008 through the same this year. It may go higher than 69%.