Friday, June 1, 2012

School's Out!

So today is the last day of school in Yuba City Unified. Mom and I are going down to Joe's Crab Shack in Old Sacramento for some good seafood after school is out. I have nearly all of my work wrapped up, instruments collected for the big "district-wide music instrument inventory" they plan for this summer, and a little more filing of music to do before moving on to Barry School for the later half of the morning.The rest of the school is just starting their "last day of school" water games and outside activities.

I'm looking out my classroom window, watching a 2nd grade class getting ready for a tug-o-war game organized by parents. They have the rope. The teams evenly matched. There's a knot with a flag tied around it in the center - right above a pool of water for the losers to be dragged through. Loads of fun for everyone!

Except I notice that the distance from the knot to the team on the right is 5' from the water, and the distance from the knot to the team on the left is a good 12'-15'. Hmm, I think. There's something about this game that the parent organizers don't fully understand.

Nevertheless, the signal is given, the pulling starts (and lasts longer than I guessed it would, even with a couple of kids falling down), and wouldn't you know it? The team on the right, who had more than twice the distance to pull, won!

Maybe there's something about this game that I don't fully understand.


Anyway, we also have stake conference this weekend, and I think things will go well. I always wish that more members would make the effort to attend what I think is one of the greatest meetings (pardon me Elder Bednar, "revelatory experiences") we have in the Church, the Saturday evening session. Actually, I think stake conferences are always great. Even when I was very young I thought we ought to do that kind of thing more often.

So I hope you have a worthwhile weekend also. I know I'm looking forward to mine.




No comments: