Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Independence Day Gig

A few weeks ago the director of the Yuba-Sutter Symphony called me and asked if I would help them out by playing trombone for their July 4th gig, which is basically a kids parade of a couple blocks, at the end of which they and their parents are met by a concert of patriotic music. 


Uncle Sam rode in on a trailer filled with straw bales.



Followed by masses of kids riding bikes and trikes or being pulled in wagons. They were decorated in red white and blue, and wearing patriotic hats - and followed by proud parents, themselves dressed in their best USA colors.


Mom took all these photos while I tooted my horn (grandma came along too). I am uniquely hidden in the back so that you don't have to see me, and it was really nice to sit and play - not have to be in charge of anything (my kind of gig). We did all the familiar tunes: 76 Trombones, God Bless America, The Girl I left Behind, Toreodor (from Carmen), God Bless the USA, El Capitan, and of course, the Stars and Stripes Forever. 

Tonight we'll cook hamburgers on the grill, eat salad and corn on the cob - and conclude by watching the massive fireworks display down at the end of the street. Over the years, this impromptu party has grown to be one of the biggest affairs anywhere south Yuba City. (I just made that up. I don't know who else might have big things going on. I just know this is really big.) And we don't have to get up early in the  morning. Yea!

No comments: