Monday, July 16, 2012

STATE FAIR!

Since Mom left for Utah this morning, and since they are putting on the State fair in July and not August anymore, and since I had to be in Sacramento for a YSA Conference meeting the next morning - we went to the fair last Friday rather than on our anniversary like we have for years. A few brief comments about each photo.

 The first thing I always do when I arrive at the fair is start the day off
right with a Jumbo Corn Dog (on our away to the livestock barns).


They don't really do the big tractor display anymore, but they had this one set up for
little kids to get their picture taken on. So here's our little kid getting his picture taken.


Look carefully at the name on this beautiful quilt. Enlarge it if
you need to. Chris' family wil especially get a kick out of it.


They had this great display in the Art building of "sugar art." There were several masks made out of sugar (and in the case of this one, roses too) which were meant to worn on Dias de las muertas. Pretty cool.


Again in the Art building. "The Thinker" made out of angle iron,
and sitting on a can (get it? on the can?) I couldn't pass it up.


I always love these huge welded sculptures. they have new ones every year, of course. I wish I
knew how to weld, and that I had the time - man, I'd sit around and make stuff like this all day.


On the left, a cool mosaic. On the right, the detail shows more than the average complexity. Each little tile is actually two or three little tiles, of different colors. Amazing.


Mom waving at Grant from the Monopoly game board.


Mom - my very own Sun-Maid. The original one had her picture taken for this iconic ad in 1912.


Guess who? This was in the Science exhibit, where they had lots of cool stuff for kids
to do. Like huge bubble makers, and a life sized chess set, and electronic music makers.


This reminded me of Grandpa Samuel Lorenzo Adams, who
made the first hearse for the town of St. George (I think).


This one about the coolest thing I saw in the Art building. The two vases spin on turn-tables. The tower in the center has lasers pointing out each side that move down. The lasers read the groves in the vases and produce sounds. The concept is called Arche-audiology, the study of how sounds are ingrained in all forms of art.
Hmm.


And this? This is the wrist band they gave me when Mom and I went into the rock concert. Yes, we went to a rock concert. But it was an Old Peoples rock concert. In order; The  Buckinghams (who were actually Italians from the west side of Chicago, not from England), the Grass Roots, Gary Puckett (who was TERRIBLE! He didn't even know what town he was in), Micky Dolens from the Monkeys (who had the best on-stage act), and The Turtles. It was getting late, I had to get up early, and so we left before the thing was over. But it was fun watching the old folks who were stuck in the 60's rock out And for the most part, the music was pretty fun too.


2 comments:

Michelle & Trevor said...

Wow, I wish I could have come to that art show with you! I've heard of that vase-music thing, that's really cool to see it in action, thanks for the video! I really like that Dia de los Muertos skull too. Fancy! And you know, I think Mom looks like the Sun Maid.

R. L. Hall said...

I thought Mickey Dolens died.