Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Uncles

One of our favorite movies is "Second Hand Lions" which is about a boy that is dropped off at his bachelor uncles house and ends up being raised by them.  It is a great movie.  It makes me think about my Dad's brothers, 2 of which passed away this year.  The story of my Dad's family has always fascinated me, partly because of the history that they lived and also because of the interesting and amazing individuals they were.

Dad actually had 3 brothers.  When he was 2, his brother Floydie was born and had brain damage resulting from the use of forceps.  Sadly, at age 11 they had to put him in a state run institution.  I can't imagine how hard that must have been for the whole family.  Harry was young at the time and they worried about his safety when Floydie got aggressive. Dad pretty much grew up with him, though and I'm sure was one of his caregivers as well as big brother.  Floydie must have had good care.  He actually lived into his 50's or 60's.  I look forward to meeting him someday.

1939 from  left Harry, Floyd, Frances holding Paul, Grace and Emmett
Harry was the next in line and was also the Uncle I knew the best. He and Dad both served in WWII.  Being several years younger, he joined later in the war and didn't have to go to the front lines like Dad. He lived in Kuna a good portion of his life.  He and Dad loved to go hunting and fishing.  Harry was a confirmed bachelor, and even more confirmed cowboy.  He lived his golden years out in a trailer near my brothers house in Kuna.  He had a family of cadallics and always seemed to have a terrier-type dog around, too.  He and my Dad had some things in common.  They were both  men of few-words.  I remember when Harry came to visit, they would talk for a few minutes and then just sit in comfortable silence for the longest time.They were good friends, even though their lives were quite different.

 
Paul, Frances, Floyd, Emmett and Harry at Floyd and Frances 50th Wedding celebration 1968
Uncle Paul was born in 1938 - Dad was 19,( I think he helped pay the hospital bill.) It was nearing the end of the depression, just before WWII started.  Dad had been working on his own, but I bet he enjoyed the time he could spend with his new baby brother.  I know he was always proud of Paul and his accomplishments.  He had the opportunity for more education that any of the others and was very successful professionally.  He ended up living in southern California most the his life, so we didn't get to see him very much. My older sisters spent alot of time with him when they were growing up, I remember them talking about his talent for electronics.  He was always kind to me as a child.  I will miss getting his Christmas cards. He has a wonderful family that carry on the Mumford tradition.

So these are my Uncles, I am very thankful for them. (But I am even more thankful that my parents didn't drop me off so they could raise me!)

1 comment:

Julie said...

melody, that was beautiful! and I just love those pictures. I too will miss them both ! hope you are well, I wish we could of spent more time together at the reunion. it went by so fast! love you