Saturday, September 21, 2013

What I Do on Saturdays

There's not much in my life that's very exciting to hear about (at least for other people), but the days are always full. Saturdays in particular are filled with plenty of errands and chores, which mostly center around fixing things that broke during the previous week. There's always plenty of variety with this - because pretty much everything I have was broken down when I got it.





A good example of this is the popcorn machine that I bought used nearly 20 years ago, and which we use to earn extra money for the band programs at school. Popcorn and root beer after school every Friday nets us $1200-$1500 a year. Not bad, but it takes some maintenance. Today I had to repair the heat lamp switch and a short in the wiring that shut the machine down early yesterday.





Of course, most of my "fix it" time is spent repairing musical instruments. I repair the instruments at my schools for free, but everyone else pays. Not  much, but enough to make it worth while - without breaking their budgets. Sometimes it gets real busy (like at the start of a school year), but other times it's not too bad.





Then there's the ever present household repairs. (The reason they are ever present is because I'm too lazy to take care of them when I should.) This toilet has been leaking for weeks. I went to the close-out sale at OSH today and got most of the materials need to fix it, but probably won't get to it. Just too, well, you know.




Then there are the Yard Sales


Last weekend our good neighbors across the street had a big sale with lots of great stuff. I think they got rid of most of it. I picked up an almost new airless paint sprayer for a friend of mine who paints houses as a side line to make extra money. I also had my eye on this length of rope which I talked him into giving to me after the sale was over and it hadn't sold. 300' of braided nylon with heavy-duty eyelets and hooks at each end. A manly piece of rope. I plan on letting the Scouts use it for a project at an upcoming celebration of the 100 year anniversary of BSA/LDS Relations.





I don't know if it's a blessing or not, but we did get quite a bit of rain, and even some thunder & lightning this morning. It really came down hard for a while, which is very unusual for Yuba City this time of year. In the video above you can see and hear it and also get a good shot of the completed patio with sod laid in between the block. That was last Saturday's project.




Just for Fun


And finally, we had a beautiful full moon this past week. I snapped this shot of it as I was heading to work about 6:45 am. The view is looking west on Butte House Rd. just past the stake center.
 Cool.

1 comment:

Michelle & Trevor said...

This reminded me of a dream I had last night. I was in training for the Coast Guard, but I had to have Atticus with me for some reason. They were teaching instrument repair to all of the trainees, and Atticus kept licking the flute I was working on and trying to paint with the glue. I was getting so frustrated, and then the flute turned into a cello, and I was like "I have to start all over??" And then I realized my alarm (a cello song) was going off.