Sunday, November 9, 2008

A Return to Honker Stadium

This has to have been one of the busiest weeks of my life. Right at the end of one of the busiest months of my life, Right after one of the busiest summers of my life.

Okay. Now that I have that bit of complaining out of my system... let me tell you about going back to YCHS to help with a half-time marching band performance at a football game. It's been about 18 years since I've done those. The occasion was a kind of a recruitment opportunity to bring middle school band students there to play with the high school band.

Many things are very different now than from when I was director there. A lot of things they do now are things I would like to have done, but wasn't allowed to do at the time. I did remember how cold it can get and dressed warmly. It turned out to be a good time - and I was able to leave after half-time, which is also something I was never able to do before.

I guess the final thing to put it all in to perspective is this: the current YCHS band director is a gal by the name of Jennifer Campen. She's doing a great job there and is about Kim's age (when I asked her if she remembered Kim, she said: "I think so, but I DO remember your son Chris! she gushed). Anyway, it struck me that when I started teaching at the high school - this girl hadn't even been born yet!

I don't think too many people will disagree that I'm getting older. But I'm not sure anyone will admit that I've grown up. Below are some photos from the evening's activities.

Marching over to the field............................................In the stands
;;;;;;;;

YCHS Band on field....................................................Combined Bands on field
;;;;;;;;

No comments: