Friday, June 12, 2009

A Break in the Action

I took a little time off from the tree cutting project to do some prep work for another project coming up - the 50 Mile Hike for AP Camp. I don' know how many of you remember the Blue Lake area. It's up the Bowman Lake Rd. out of Bear Valley (where Donor Mine is), but I went up there this morning to scout around for a trail leading east over to the Grouse Ridge Trail.




You see in the top photo how the lake got it's name. Just beautiful. I used to go here often with the 4th Level Girls on their hike. Dad went with me a couple of times even after he lost his leg. And Melody went too one year. They don't go there anymore because it's unimproved wilderness (i.e. no bathrooms) and that seems to be of major importance to current YW leadership. Too bad for me, but then I'm just along for the ride anyway.



This shot is from above the lake on a road that leads to the trail I was searching for. I hiked about 4 or 5 miles around the surrounding countryside getting reacquainted with it. The little peak you see beyond the lake to the left is called Zion Hill. It's close to 7,000' in elevation and the highest peak around except for Grouse Ridge which is 7,700'.

I had a great time, with the only problem being that everything went so smoothly I was home in time to do more work on the tree. Bah! (clicking on the photos brings up a larger, sharper view)

2 comments:

Vecchiocane said...

I love it! Too bad being unemployed keeps me so busy, I'd beg to come do the AP 50-miler with you. This is the scenery and landscape that made me a mountain-lover in the first place.
(Oh, and just because my mind is twisted, the typo "Donor" Mine Camp does sort of fit in with the story of that party's end; in a macabre sort of way.)

Rebecca said...

Is this where we went on our 4th level hike? That was fun - too bad they don't do the real hiking and camping anymore.