Saturday, November 20, 2010

Miserable Day for a Run

Today was the 3rd annual Turkey Trot for Hands of Hope. This is an organization that assists homeless children who are enrolled in local schools districts. I know most of the people who started it and they're all good people. I like to support their efforts.

;;;;;;;;

At the same time, I don't particularly like running, and I hate rain and cold. Today was miserable with all three. So why did I do it? In part to support a worthy cause, and in part just because it presented something hard to do - and I think it's important to do hard things. Well, okay, there's the free pancakes and sausage afterward too. (hey, food is important)



This video clip is of runners at the starting line trying to keep warm. If things had started on time we would have missed nearly all the hard rain. As it was, it started to really come down just as we got ready for the starting gun. I thought things were going pretty well - until I turned into the driving rain near the half-way point. This was one of the few times I never got warm while running. Kept my hat, ear socks, and gloves on, and my jacket zipped all the way up for the whole race. Brrrr!

1 comment:

R. L. Hall said...

It was good to see you there Peter - like misery likes company. We jogged a bit to stay warm, but walked most of it. You are right about the rain and cold, it was miserable. Interestingly my feet were soaked and cold, but my head was dry. Joanne, on the other hand, had a soaking wet head, but dry feet. Go figure. We always did complement one another well.