Saturday, February 12, 2011

Happy Valentines Day to My Sweetheart

Thirty three years ago this month I had been on only one date with my sweetheart. She agreed to to go with me to a Saturday night music recital because it was the only night she had available, (she already had dates for Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday evenings). At the concert we sat in front of her boyfriend's roommate.

Afterward we stopped for an ice cream cone on the way home. I figured that as pretty as she was, and as tied up as she was with other guys wanting to be with her, I probably ought to leave well enough alone and not pursue her.



Eventually, I had the opportunity to go out with her again and tried to make a big impression. No such luck. But I kept trying, and as time went on I was able to convince her to say yes to my proposal. She made a great leap of faith to accept me.

I think acting in faith was not a new experience for her. As I look back, I really wonder what it was that she saw in me. We hardly knew each other - me from California, and her from Idaho.




I do know this though: when we were first married I was full of all of the excitement, dreams, and giddiness you can imagine. And over the years those feelings have turned to realities, mostly because of her.

I could not have imagined that so much would come from our relationship. My dreams have come true, and my prayers have been answered. And even though she deserves much better (in a husband and provider) I will be forever grateful for her staying by me and helping me become who I am. I love my sweetheart!

3 comments:

mr.math said...

Yeah, aren't those Idaho gals the best!

Julie said...

Peter, That is the most beautiful thing I've ever read! I have always had a soft spot for her also! she's a peach! would ya tell her happy valentines from her sis.

Michelle & Trevor said...

You're a good man, Charlie Brown. I'm so glad that you and mom are still so in love! You two have set the best example for Trevor and me.