Friday, July 22, 2011

State Fair 2011

We had a great time at the fair Wednesday. To give you some kind of flavor (get it?) of what I spent most of my time doing, see the photo below. This is actually a picture of a picture, but I like how it makes me feel, so I included it here.

I started with a Jumbo corn dog, then a tri-flavor popcicle. Added a large lemonade because we tasted some of the "Local Chef Cook-off" produce (yumm), then Mom and I downed a kind of disappointing cinnamon roll and milk, so I chased it down with a funnel cake. For the real meal I had a 14" polish sausage (no kidding, 14 inches) along with some grilled vegetables (and more lemonade). I polished off an ice cream sandwich on our way out the door. It was a fun day.




Below you see two of the three stilt walkers that roamed the fair grounds. They weren't really mimes (at least one of them was talking most of the time), even though they dressed the part.



On the left you see my impersonation of Paul McCartney at Abby Road (I remember once just after I started teaching that one of the other teachers at Bridge St. School said I looked like Paul - I thought she was crazy), and on the right Melody stands in front of one of the great pyramids of South America.



When we were in England I got my picture taken in a phone booth. Wed. it was Melody's turn. Now take a look at the chart of "one-hit wonders" from the really fun Rock & Roll exhibit. Pam and Kim (and David) take particular note of the 5th song down. Yes!



Not much to say about these last two photos. I just like the work done (by teenagers) on this 3' vase with the "Up" characters. Below that are just a couple of statues that I thought the grand kids would like.






There were a lot of fun things to see, and it was nice and warm. I could probably go back for another afternoon/evening and spend more time there. But then I always have fun at the fair.

1 comment:

David Peter said...

Pam and Kim's rendition of Ice Ice Baby is SO much better than Vanilla's....