Thursday, February 2, 2012

Groundhog Day in Yuba City

So this morning I showed my students some Groundhog Day jokes (I usually start the day with a comic or funny video clip), and explained the background for the day. I even gave them a plot summary of the movie "Groundhog Day" with Bill Murray and Andie McDowell.



I explained that the "moral of the story" for the movie is that if you treat people rotten and are only concerned about yourself - stepping on whomever you need to in order to get what you want, then you always have the same day: a rotten one. But if you treat people nicely, and help others get what they need, then every day is a new day. And a happy one that brings you what you want.

They're only teens and pre-teens, it remains to be seen if they get it.



Other Places Have Hills - We Have Wind

This afternoon as soon as I got home from school I jumped on my bike and made the 10.5 mile round trip to Boyd Pump boat ramp along the levee road. It was a nice, sunny day for a ride. . . or would have been except for the near 30 mph north wind. No problem on the way down, murder on the way back. Took me an hour!

;;;;;;;;

You can see my shadow in these photos of the river bottoms that I took while riding. The grass is green, but the trees are bare. And, of course, with all this sun, the local groundhogs certainly saw their shadows. We'll have 6 more weeks of winter - hopefully bringing some much needed rain along with it.




No comments: