Monday, February 13, 2012

The Hit Man

Melody's in Arizona playing with grand kids (Molly wants to know "why did not the other grandpa come"), so I took grandma (my Mom) with me to the stake Valentines activity for adults. It was a dinner/mystery theater thing that was really quite well attended. Over 400 people were there to eat Mexican food and watch a short, one act play during which an engagement ring disappears. The we had to make our guesses as to who took it and where it was when the play ended. Pretty Fun.

But we got there late, because on the way we were rear-ended by a hit-and-run driver. We were stopped for a red light on Hwy 99 at Franklin when "BAM" somebody slammed into the back of my Jeep! You can see the damage below. What you can't see is that the front seats are all messed up with the backs of them tilted back at a 60 deg angle, the way Rich likes to have them. Only they won't straighten up.

;;;;;;;;

The force of the impact threw us forward into the car in front of us (who turned out to be a member of the Church and former student of mine). It looked like the three vehicles involved all signaled and pulled over on Franklin, but after we got off the highway the driver who hit me wasn't there. Rats.

But as I'm on the phone with the 911 operator, a woman pulls up behind us and says: "I got his license, I got his license!" It turns our she was behind the driver who hit me, saw the accident, and followed the vehicle to get the plate number. When it became apparent that the driver knew she was following him, she broke off and returned to us. It also turns out that her husband is a lieutenant in the YC police dept., and she wasn't about to let this guy get away with anything! What luck.

Anyway, grandma and I are all right, and we have had fun at the dinner. Looks like I may be looking for a new vehicle sooner than later. I'll let you know how things develop.

3 comments:

Michelle & Trevor said...

I'm sorry Dad! Well, you needed a new jeep anyway. Let Trevor know how your hunting goes, he wants a new jeep someday.

David Peter said...

Glad you both are okay. Now that there are a few good dents to give the Jeep some character, we might as well give it a lift and some new tires and take it up four wheeling somewhere!

J-Rok said...

That's okay, I hear Rich won't straighten up either.

Hope you two are feeling still feeling well, sometimes it takes a day or two for the pain to kick in.

Sabrina