Monday, March 5, 2012

When Do You Think?

The first time I remember being asked if, and when, I spent time pondering (the scriptures, true doctrine, the teachings of the prophets, etc.) I was an Elders Quorum President and the stake president was doing the asking. It caught me by surprise and I didn't have a ready answer so I fumbled something out, and he seemed willing to let that suffice. But it got me thinking about just when, and how much I really think about important things.

And actually, it surprised me how much time I spent doing that sort of thing.

The next time someone asked me that question (again it was my stake president) I was serving as a bishop. I was a bit better prepared this time, but unfortunately it came at a time when I felt nearly overwhelmed by the duties of my calling, caring for my family, and work at school. My first reaction was: Man! when am I going to make time to do that? Fortunately, this time the stake president was my brother, so no offense was taken at my response.

But as before, when I pondered the reality of my ponderings, I realized that even with everything I was doing, I still spent time pondering, and thinking through events, situations, teachings, and scriptures. Just not perhaps as much as I should have, or would have liked to.

The third time I was asked that question, I was the stake president, and it was asked of me by a member of the Seventy. This time I was ready. Here's what I said. . .

My favorite time to ponder and think is when I run. Now, I don't particularly like running. I've never been very good at it, and the older I get, the slower I get. But running requires just enough physical effort for me to focus my thoughts. Walking and riding a bike are okay, and I do some thinking then, but it's much easier for my mind to wander when I'm doing those activities.

Most of the time when I run I write talks for Church meetings, link scriptures together in chains, consider what various experiences in my life have taught me - and of course I think about my family. Now, there are other times when I ponder and peruse in my head things that I have written or memorized. When I read the scriptures, and when I pray are certainly other times; but also when I wake up in the night, and sometimes when I'm just sitting doing nothing. It's just that those last two things don't happen very often.

So when do you ponder? When do you think? And what do you think? For me, inspiration - even revelation has often come. Answers to what I should say, and how I should act, almost always come during my pondering. I highly recommend it.

1 comment:

Vecchiocane said...

Hate to admit it, but I'm just glad it is you asking me this question and not a Stake President or Seventy.
Unlike you, one of those last two situations is commonly when I think. In fact, it seems that there is some part of me that does not think I am pondering enough, and therefore wakes me up in the middle of the night so I can do that. The other explanation is that there is no rest for the wicked.