Saturday, May 12, 2012

Movie Day

With the end of the school year approaching, several challenges present themselves. Perhaps the biggest is that the students tend to think behavior and effort standards no longer apply. (I'm good at helping them recognize that's not the case...)

Also near the top of the list is the huge number of filed trips that occur (most of which are never mentioned to me, so suddenly one day anywhere from a third to all of my students don't show up for class - no warning). I have to be prepared for everything.

Last Friday my 7/8 grade band at Tierra Buena School was a perfect example of this. So with only a third of my class there, I decided to pull up Johnny Lingo, the original one, on my computer and show it to them. 


Even the LDS students had never seen it before (remember that they are only Deacon/Beehive aged kids), so I explained that it was an OLD movie about arranged marriages, feelings of personal worth, and treating people with kindness and respect. It went really well. I think I actually saw a couple of girls who were moved by it. (Guys, not so much.)

Anyway, my next emergency lesson plan my well include "The Phone Call." If you're not familiar with that one, well, look it up on YouTube. It's pretty funny.

1 comment:

Michelle & Trevor said...

That's interesting that they'd never seen it. It seems like even most of my non-lds friends had seen that movie by the time I was ending 8th grade.