Monday, November 11, 2013

More Boat Stuff

There's a lot about this catamaran that I'm trying to figure out. I had hoped to figure out how to raise the mast, but ran out of time and daylight.

I did untangle most of the cables today, and threw away nearly all of the ropes. Then I opened the gear box and sifted through the contents.

What was left after more throwing away of junk (including, but not limited to: thrashed life jackets, dozens of thrashed yellow jackets [yes, dead insects], several wasp nests, a broken paddle, and assorted other trash) is what you see below. Actually, there are also two rudders that go on each of the hulls and the tiller, which are not pictured.


The two life jackets look like they might be good ones, and the seat harness looks like what you use to hang of the side of the catamaran in stiff winds in order to keep the boat from flipping. The anchor was attached to a relatively short piece of cotton rope. Not sure why they thought cotton was a good material for that.


These are the sails, and they appear to be in pretty good shape, except that each of them has one fiberglass slat that is missing it's end connector. I'm not sure how important it is to have all of the slats, or how hard it will be to fix/replace the connectors.

Overall, I'd say it will be a long time before I get it "sea-worthy", and will no doubt need some good counsel on how to go about that. But I did download the Assembly manual for this model of Hobie Catamaran, and it looks like it has much of what I need. Perhaps someday next summer.

No comments: