Monday, May 17, 2010

Interesting Times

So I'm walking down the sidewalk this morning at school, on my way from the office to pick up my mail, back to my classroom. A little second grader comes over and starts walking next to me. (I've never seen him before) He starts talking and says:

"My grandpa is sick in the hospital, he has this thingy in his head. He was in jail, but when the police arrested him they took him to the hospital.

"But he escaped from the hospital, so now my Dad says he will have to go and try to find him.

"He wouldn't have escaped if he didn't have this thingy in his head.

"Oh yeah, the last thing he said to the hospital was, I'm going to see my grandson Caleb."

At that point I had reached my classroom door, so I told him good luck and I hoped they find his grandpa soon. (for more than one reason)

Some day this little guy may be a student of mine. I've certainly had others like him over the years. This is the world we live in.


2 comments:

Neighbor Keith said...

I learned about LSD, PCP, Peyote, Shrooms and Ketamine in Substance Use today. There is some crazy stuff out there. But you know what drug has the worst withdrawl symptoms? Alcohol. People can die if they don't get their beer fix.
I'm not saying that's what the thing in the head was, but that's what the story resembles.

mr.math said...

The particulars of your story suggest that the grandpa had nothing in his head.